Thursday, January 02, 2014

Really Close to Reaching Goals.

This is my stash yarn (bought from 2004 to 2009) at the beginning of 2013.


This is what I have left.

I had forgotten that I had planned to spin replacement yarn in 2013. All I remembered was that I had fallen below a comfortable amount of yarn on hand and at the rate I was going I would be completely out in 2015.

I had gone on a knitting vacation and bought some yarn there. I started working all that overtime and bought two balls of Malabrigo Twist as a reward. Then I helped a coworker set up a yarn estate sale.

At that sale I was fraught with the "I like you and I want to support you" emotions and guilt similar to visiting favorite yarn store but magnified because it was a friend in a sad situation. Added to that was the greed associated with of clearance yarn. Clearance discontinued yarn. What an emotionaly fraught day. I wanted it all. Instead I bought enough for three sweaters and a shawl. That was some epic self control on my part.

After the sale I was adding up the yardage I had bought for the year against how much I had knit and thought wouldn't it be nice to break even. I could buy even more yarn to make up the deficit! Sadly, that wasn't in my budget.

That's when I had the thought (again) of spinning up the difference and I pulled out my spinning wheel and started spinning.

in 2013 I knit 13,668 yards

All the yarn I bought in 2013, 10,070 yards

With the addition of all the yarn I was given. Better with the addition of 1,664 yards

And with all the yarn I spun, 1,900 yards. That's a total of 13,634 yards of yarn.

Even with the gift yarn and hand spun I'm still negative 34 yards for the year but I got really close. Also? That is a large pile of yarn. I knit that much, more than that much, and my yardage was down this year because of working 50 hour weeks and school. My brain just exploded a little bit.

2014 is more of the same. I don't want to own less yarn than I have now. I want to save my yarn money for my yarn vacation in 2015. Again the plan is to spin the replacement yarn and to buy even less than I did in 2013. I have enough fiber stash that I should be able to do that, as long as I  remember to actually do it.

No comments: