Sunday, August 02, 2015

Shocking

With everything that has been going on I didn't have the brain power to knit complicated projects.

Plain vanilla socks to the rescue.
All these years I've bought into that it takes 100g to knit a pair of sock and if sock yarn come in a 50g ball I buy two.

I've always knit a sock per ball because I wanted to start the second sock with the same color repeat and that seems simpler from a new ball. Also, I didn't want to join my yarn.  Sure, I always had two leftover balls at the end that I put into my sock yarn scraps and then forgot.

My Mom isn't a knitter but she knows how to read, so for Christmas when she bought this pretty sock yarn she carefully gave me two 50g balls of each color. 

This time I was too tired to get the new ball when the first sock was finished so I started the second sock with what I had. I even matched the color repeat.
Shockingly I knit all of the second sock out of that same 50g ball of yarn. And they aren't short socks either but my regular length to right before my calf.
I did it again. And then again for a third time, each pair coming in at less then 50g.

Ok, so this last pair are footies in cotton yarn for summer and doesn't count.

What this means is that each of my leftover bits of sock yarn is actually a whole new set of socks. It's quite the shocking realization.

No comments: