Wednesday, January 12, 2011

January Snow

I love January. The fresh year. The only month we really have snow. The very best part of all is no wind. It all adds up to one of my favorite months of the year.
I love shoveling light fresh snow to clear the driveway on a windless day. Wearing a hat and mittens and sweater and not needing a coat from the exertion. Working outside right now makes me feel alive and makes my blood jump and lungs crackle.
I love wearing the layers and layers of knitted clothes inside. Sweaters over sweaters. Legwarmers over long underwear. Hats and fingerless mitts to bed. And no wind. Come February the wind will kick up and no matter how much I wrap up my windows it will leak it's way in through the walls and nothing is warm. But in January I can be cold and warm at the same time. This is knitters weather.
I also love the January secret pal boxes.
I opened this one up right before getting in the car for the annual January trip and I forgot to take photos. I love everything in this box. The spring green yarn made from corn, the pink and burgundy spinning fiber and the mixed batt by Drunkard's Dyelot is all wonderful and so me. It's like my secret pal took a look in my stash to find just the things that I would get for myself but didn't. And the dark chocolate orange. I love that too. Thanks Batty! It's perfect.

1 comment:

Batty said...

So glad you like everything! And that you made it OK through the snow. We also got walloped. This winter is surprisingly white!