Monday, February 25, 2013

Snow Days

Snow was forecasted and everyone was getting worked up about it. I had thought in passing about buying groceries before the snow hit but I always stretch it as far as I can at the end of the month. I really don't want to go before the first.
I checked and I had a dozen eggs

and icecream so I would be able to live for 3 days in a pinch if it really snowed enough I couldn't get out and I called it good. After all, it never snows enough that I can't get out.


And then it did. Eleven inches that closed work and clogged my parking lot burying my car. I couldn't get out for two and a half days.

About four hours in the first day I was bored and decided to play my version of the tv show where the chef knocks on random peoples doors and cooks dinner with what they have. I miss that show.
That is all I had in my dry goods cabinet.

Ok, time to get creative. The brown rice and broccoli is a given. The large plastic container is sushi rice and very creamy so a Tex Mex Pilaf with that. Finally, an onion pork stew with the rest. 

All was going as planned until I tried to open the little cans of tomato sauce. The can actually exploded.  Botulism?  Botulism! My whole kitchen is covered in botulism spores and I'm going to die and I'll have to throw everything away even the pans and everything!!! The splatter is on my spice basket there. It's also on the walls and the ceiling.

Ok, ok. Good thing I have the Internet. I just need to wash my kitchen like normal. It doesn't look like any got near the food I was already cooking in a covered pan but if it did 10 minutes of boiling will kill it. whew. I throw away the second can of tomato sauce without trying to open it and move on.

Tex Mex Pilaf made with the canned jalapenos, frozen bell peppers, and Velveeta. Then topped with roasted chipotle. This is so good. Like creamy sophisticated nacho sauce that is ok to eat with a spoon.

The onion pork stew made with diced tomatoes rather than tomato sauce. The onions caramelized just right. This is what a snow day should be.

I didn't take photos of brown rice and broccoli since everyone knows what that looks like. I cooked the brown rice in bouillon. Half I left plain and the other half I made cheesy. 

Finally with nothing left but the Half and Half and the last two pound bag of broccoli I decided to make curry.  Yummm I do love curry and it turns out broccoli curry is just as good as any other kind.

My car is now freed from the snow and I can get out again and the weather people say 10 more inches will be falling tomorrow.  I could go grocery shopping but I now have 14 meals in the freezer with the icecream and I still have the eggs. The eggs are just begging to be made into cornbread, chocolate cupcakes, and waffles. I think I'll just wait until the first.



No comments: