Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Amaryllis

One of the things that I remember fondly from the Christmases of my childhood is the amaryllis bulb in a box. My father would bring home the box and we would plant it together and then it would grow before our eyes in the living room window.

An amaryllis bulb was pretty high on my want list so I was excited to find them in Home Depot on clearance. I was at Home Depot to use the last of a housewarming gift card for a long list of home supplies. While they didn't have anything I needed that day, I planned ahead and picked up a snow shovel (the first one I've owned, ever) and the gift card had enough left for the amaryllis too.

I've never kept one alive to bloom again next year but my neighbor swears it's super easy and all I have to do is keep it on my porch over the summer. I will see. It would be wonderful to have it for Christmases to come.

No comments: