Tuesday, August 06, 2013

I call him Max

Nerd Wars

Challenge (Discovery): RISE UP, RISE UP

In 1852, Elisha Otis was hired to convert a building from a sawmill into a bedstead manufacturing plant. He devised the safety elevator as a way to move debris from the floor of that building into the overhead storage lofts. He thought so little of his device that he neither patented it, nor did he ask his superiors for any sort of bonus for creating and implementing it.

Your challenge this month is to craft an item that in some way depicts or emulates an aspect of “elevators” as they appear in another team’s nerdery.

My submission:

Team Browncoat
Spinning

The lift in the Doctor Who episode The Long Game from Team Tardis. Rose and Doctor are headed up to floor 500 where the “walls are made of gold”.




 I dyed merino fiber in the blues and faded red of the lift doors. The silk is from a silk brick I’ve had in my stash since 2004ish.



I then spun it into 154 yards of aran weight yarn. It’s not that pink in real life. Although, admittedly, it didn’t spin up as red as when I dyed it either. So maybe just take a look at the blue. Yeah, that’s it. The blue.

Team tie in;

The bulkhead behind Kaylee is the same blue (and faded red).



No comments: