Saturday, October 04, 2014

Movies

My friends and I have been talking about movies lately and about setting up a movie night now that we've finished the available episodes of Doctor Who. It was thrown out there that we would each make a list of great movies that we could choose from as a group. It was quickly decided that the pressure of picking our favorite movies was too much and we would just pick movies.

I went with ones that I've seen once but still think about years later. That doesn't mean they are good, or even that I enjoyed them, although most are and I did, but there is something about them that has stayed with me.

I also wanted to cram as many of my favorite actors into the fewest number of movies so most of these feature two or three (or more) actors I enjoy.

Here's my list:

Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert
Being John Malkovich
Birdcage
Bladerunner
Edward Scissorhands
Fierce Creatures
Gohstbusters
Jumpin' Jack Flash
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Moonrise Kingdom
Much Ado About Nothing- Joss Whedon version
Muriel's Wedding
Nausicaa
NeverEnding Story
Only the Lonely
Pulp Fiction
Red Dawn
Repo Man
Run Lola Run
Stand by Me
Terminator
The Man with One Red Shoe
The Truman Show
Tremors
When Harry Met Sally
Willow

But this post isn't about movies but knitting at movies.

I can now knit in a movie theater completely by touch! That part's not too surprising, what surprises me is that I can cast on during the commercials, knit the ribbing during the previews, start the body of the hat with the opening credits and be ready for the decrease by the time the end credits roll.

These aren't baby hats either but full on 22 inch man sized hats.

X-Men: Days of Future Past yielded this hat from Cascade Eco that might be too large for any human head because when it was time to start decreasing there was still more movie to watch so I just kept on knitting. It can be worn cuffed and big hats are the style again this year. It could be fine. I just need to find the head it fits.
At Guardians of the Galaxy I upped the game with a garter stitch section. Pattern is Barley and the yarn my handspun. Again I was ready to decrease by the time the movie was over.

When I'm at home watching movies about a fourth of my mind is on the knitting not the movie. I'm watching the pretty yarn or working a complicated pattern so I do more listening to the movie than watching. With these I was completely engrossed in the screen and I didn't look at my hands or think of what I was doing for 121 minutes. I can knit completely by touch and I'm fast. Really fast. I'm still a little shocked by it all.

No comments: