Sunday, March 18, 2012

Baby Greens

The weather is so nice that I planted lettuce today.


I picked out a curly red leaf lettuce Lollo Rossa and a small green head lettuce Tom Thumb.

I bought the seeds last November as part of the winter defiance package and bought some for myself. I thought the tiny green heads nestled in the curly red leaves would be striking in a window box.

When I mentioned as much to my dad he mocked me for getting a miniature lettuce since it will take as long to mature as a big head of lettuce. Tom Thumb will be ready to eat in 60 days while a large head of lettuce like May Queen is also ready in 60 days and Merveille des Quatre Saisons is ready in 48 days. However, that large head of lettuce will be the size of Tom Thumb well before the 60 (or 48) days so I should have bought the big ones but harvested them as baby greens.

Maybe I'll harvest Tom Thumb as baby greens have little marble sized lettuce.

No comments: