Friday, December 06, 2013

Anthocyanins

It's time for more Nerd War entries. I'm still playing for team Browncoat.

Challenge (Discovery): CHEMICAL COLORS

These colours we see and love are due to the tree withdrawing green chlorophyll from the leaves and two groups of chemicals being revealed: the carotenoids (the yellows, oranges and browns) and the anthocyanins (reds and purples).

Your challenge this month is to craft something in the colours of carotenoids or/and anthocyanins

From the USDA Forest Service 

"During the growing season, chlorophyll is continually being produced and broken down and leaves appear green. As night length increases in the autumn, chlorophyll production slows down and then stops and eventually all the chlorophyll is destroyed. The carotenoids and anthocyanins that are present in the leaf are then unmasked and show their colors."

When I picked these leaves up they were such a dark brown that they looked black and were a perfect color match to the yarn. It was the burgundy of Anthocyanins that gave them that color. They sat around a while before I took the photo and the color has faded. I believe that the tannin is the leaves is now showing but mostly it's the crappy night time photo and indoor lighting that changed the color from a rich chocolate brown to dead leaf tan. I have a goal of setting up a nice photo shooting spot.

I started with the pattern Rikki but I modified it so much I don't know if it even counts as using the pattern. The cast on number is the same, at least. The yarn is madelinetosh DK in the color Whiskey Barrel. It's the first time I've worked with the yarn. I know. I know. I'm probably the last knitter to try that yarn it's so hot right now. It's rather nice and the best part is how smooth it is so there should be very little pilling.


Team tie in for extra points:
The color is a match to the brown coats worn by the Independence.

Team Unity Project with Team Robbingood for even more points. Team Robbingood represent movies about grifters and thieves, usually with the heart of gold.

I found the movie Burglar.

Bernice Rhodenbarr, a former burglar, resumes her life of crime when blackmailed. She needs the hat to contain her dreds. It’s much more stylish than the one she is wearing and will look great with her sweater

No comments: